Friday, January 05, 2007

Two Windows in Barrio Historico




I have this odd thing happen to me sometimes when I'm taking photos out in public. I'll be shooting away and someone will approach me and turn out to be knowledgeable about place or subject. We'll have this conversation about what they know and then they continue on to wherever they were going. I am a perfectly average looking middle-aged woman so has nothing to do with my charms as a woman, and in fact, in the US, being a middle-aged woman makes you practically invisible in some senses.

Anyway, that happened with the top photo too. I took the photo, walked up the street for a while and came back and this man was standing in front of the house and I made some comment and it turned out he was a guy remodeling the house for the owner, a real estate investor who owns a number of properties in that area. He gave me a brief tour of the inside - 14ft ceilings!, the original wood floor, unfortunately in terrible condition, most of the original ceiling, roof and interior walls had to be replaced. Per my guide, these old historic houses will kill romantic fantasies about bringing an old historic home back to life if you don't have a lot of money and expertise. So much for that fantasy.

Reflections do curious things sometimes, such as decapitate the guy in the second photo. Where did his head go?

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

Very interesting photos. I especially like the one with the headless guy.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Meg in Nelson said...

I love anything from Barrio Historico, but how fantastic that you got a tour! That bit about middle-aged woman being almost invisible - ouch, same here.

3:24 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Hi guys - Carol, photography just comes up with other realities sometimes I think. Meg, so its not just the US. I dunno. Sometimes it has its advantages.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home