Sunday, December 03, 2006

Steinfeld Warehouse



One hundred years old, once the warehouse for Tucson's first department store at the turn of the 19th century, now home to 16 artists, craftsmen and galleries. Recently they all got eviction notices from the Arizona Dept of Transportation which owns that and several other properties in the warehouse district.

The city says it wants to have the building "rehabilitated". I wonder if this mural will survive. The photo shows part of the mural; I showed a different view in this blog last spring.

Second photo added on Monday, Dec. 4.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I do hope they save the mural. Kinda remind me of "John Henry."

5:36 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

doubt the mural will stay. But i do hope they offer the artists another location for their art.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Jing said...

this mural is a kind of wonderful one.
:))
like these beautful mural. I really hope they could exist anyway.

jing
shanghai daily photo

5:25 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Its a very dynamic mural and I'm guessing since it faces on little used side streets and a weedy vacant lot,that its not noticed much. I'm putting up another view just to celebrate it.

There is of course much more to the story on both sides of the issue. More on this later this week.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Melissa said...

I love your blog. Everytime I drive by this mural I admire it and wonder about it.

12:34 AM  
Blogger David said...

My dad, Brian Kelly, and his friend actually painted it. I used to climb around on the scaffolding as a kid. It's one of my favorite places in all of Tucson.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home