Tuesday, December 12, 2006

If Its Tuesday It Must Be....




Sixth street between Irvington and Oklahoma, a short but interesting block. At Irvington, the street becomes 6th and the street scape is more like a city (sidewalks!). On the west side is Las Chepas auto sales (and notary). Its not clear if the they are still in business but I like the guy on the roof.

On the east side is the Tucson Rodeo Parade Museum. Tucson has a rodeo every February that is a big deal, the schools are closed (even the university), there's a parade and all. I will admit I've never been to the parade or the rodeo. So I wandered into the museum without much enthusiasm and found it really quite fascinating. I don't really have enough room to get into the details here, but I thought since I showed a modern police vehicle yesterday, I'd show one from roughly a hundred years ago today. Prisoners sometimes made the trip to the infamous terriorial prison in Yuma over the course of several weeks in the back of this vehicle, in the dust and the heat.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

The "guy" looks tough and the wagon is fascinating. I wonder how many prisoners escaped?

3:11 AM  
Blogger tr3nta said...

The new Madrid daily photo has now started…
Come, and tell me u think…
Thank u all for the ‘unbelivable’ dailyphotoblog network…

http://madridailyphoto.blogspot.com

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Mary said...

If it's Wednesday, it must be . . . I just have to think of it as Wednesday, since that's when I see it. That 3 hour time difference means I'm in bed when you publish.

I know you have enough to do as it is, but I'd love to see a map link of this street. Any chance? Just call me obsessive.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

A map link is an excellant idea Mary. Will work on it. Kate, I wondered about that too though they would have been escaping into open desert, Apache country at that, and probably they were chained. One of the things that fascinated me is that the museum has vehicles like this one that I've seen in movies - and in fact that very vehicle was in movies - but at the same time it was also the original "paddy wagon", actually used to transport prisoners.

Will visit the new Madrid blog though I have less time for visiting than I used to.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Jing said...

:)
interesting information...
and the first photo is very interesting and different.

jing

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home