Saturday, November 18, 2006

Tour de Tucson Bike Race



My alarm went off this morning and it was still dark out. I thought *#^@& - its just a bike race, just a bunch of pictures of the same thing, people on bikes, forget it, wanna go back to sleep. So I turned off the alarm clock and went back to bed. And started thinking about where I could park where I had planned to watch the race and where the light would be coming from at that hour of the morning and in the end I got up.

And went and took photos and it was fun. It was exciting waiting and then seeing the first rider come over the hill and the first pack (phaeton?) of riders and then cheering them on. Especially the later more recreational riders who loved the cheers and cow bells and homemade signs, just soaked it up like brand new celebrities on their first red carpet. As they should have and you had to love them for it. Bravo Tour riders!

For more on the Tour de Tucson, a general article here and an entertaining account of actually being in the race here.

7 Comments:

Blogger Randy said...

Great shot Louz. Love the bright colors.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

FAAAAntastic! So glad you got up and did what you NEEDED to do. What a great action shot!! Hats off to you!

9:47 PM  
Blogger DaveM said...

Thanks. I enjoyed the account of the race too. A bit fast for me though, I can manage the distance but not the speed. Cheers

12:29 AM  
Blogger Ham said...

Great shot! from the shadows, it must be early but it still looks hot! I thin I'll leave this sort of energetic cyclng to others (The pack is the "peleton" BTW)

2:34 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Thanks guys! I have such admiration for the people who did that race, especially the ones who were non-competitive and did it for charities or for personal goals. It was kinda cool they got to be somebody special one Saturday in the year.

Thinking of pulling my bike out of the garage, replacing a tire... who knows.

Thanks Ham. I think at that point it actually was a peleton, since they were the race leaders. Pretty cool to see up close.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

What a truly terrific shot! You did well to get up early, Louz. And I like the wee things some put on their helmets, too. The one on top right - a wolf? - almost looks like the guy under the helmet!

11:22 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Hi Meg, I'm thinking wolf too. Certainly not a coyote, no fish for them to eat here. I like him for wearing it even though I caught him in a non-smiling moment.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home