Sunday, November 12, 2006

Shrine of Santa Rita in Vail, AZ



The bell tower of the Shrine of Santa Rita taken this fine evening. Santa Rita is the saint of impossible causes, the saint of those utterly without power who are abused by those having it. She is the patron saint of damaged wives and children, of those abused by men in authority in God's name.

Vail is a little town located just east of Tucson. There are Santa Rita Mountains southeast of Tucson where the Santa Rita Abbey (a trappist nunery) is located near Sonoita. I enjoyed reading the Abbey journal. It is quite descriptive of some aspects of rural life in southeastern Arizona.

8 Comments:

Anonymous yank said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:27 PM  
Blogger edwin s said...

nice shot louz.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

I never ever thought I would bookmark an Abby Journal, but I just did. I would love to go on a retreat there, as one "of other faiths or seekers of they know not what."

1:31 AM  
Blogger Seesaw said...

Great angle and light!

1:49 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

Nice shot Louz. I will have to stop by and check this place out on my way to Bisbee.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

I'm thinking about arranging an overnight retreat there. If I had to put a label on my religious beliefs I'd say Buddhist. Hopefully that won't be a problem for them. I seem to be at a point where I need some time of reflection (and maybe some time with a saint of impossible causes :-l

I'm glad you liked the photo. Thanks for visiting guys! The deleted comment was a basically a spam billboard, by the way. Good grief.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

Wow, if/when you do go on a retreat, do you think it would be so rude if you took a few pics inside? Anyway, I hope you have a great time.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

I got a friendly email from them so should be able to set it up fairly soon. Of course I'll take the camera but whether they'll be OK with photos, have to wait and see.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home