Saturday, November 04, 2006

Clown in a Kilt

Today was the Tucson Celtic Festival. There were pipe bands, highland games, music, dance, games and inflated castles for the kids, clan tents and a parade of clans, stuff sold, even Border Collie sheep herding and this clown making balloon animals with great good humor all day. So many men in kilts :), so many bagpipers - who knew there were that many in Arizona. I heard bagpipes all day no matter what else was going on.

I took a gazillion photos. Which leaves me as usual trying to pick 1 or even 2 or 3 or 4 out of hundreds. While I really like the daily photo, one photo, taken that day more or less model and think it produces excellent blogs, it just isn't what I can do with this kind of material. So I've just decided to go with my particular (somewhat erratic) flow - i.e one photo daily taken at some festival or other this fall. So there will be on various days men tossing the caber, dogs herding sheep, an Irish musician playing the sittar and also glass blowers, masks, pottery, dancers of all kinds, an All Souls Parade that I'm going to tomarrow night, The Tour de Tucson bike race in few weeks and a whole lot else.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kala said...

you should a second blog called Tucson extras and post the photos there =D

3:02 AM  
Blogger DaveM said...

Hi...whats the origin of having a Celtic festival in Tucson? do you have a histoy of settlers from Scotland Ireland and Wales. Thanks. D

11:32 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Hi Kala, I think about it periodically. Its a question of time to set up a second blog and how would I want to do it.
Hi Davem - I don't know. Its a good question. The people there appeared to take it quite seriously, its not at all just dressing up in costumes to them. Some of the sports competitors were professionals, top rated in the US and some internationally. And I heard a fair number of people speaking with Irish or Scots accents. They've been holding the festival for 20 years some it must be a fairly well entrenched sub-culture.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home