Thursday, October 05, 2006

Santa Cruz Church - And Bishop Granjon Comes to Tucson



I came across this church early one morning. I was fascinated by its striking Greek Orthodox look - though as it turns out, it is Catholic. Constructed between 1916 and 1919 under Bishop Henri Granjon, a Frenchman who was named bishop of Tucson in 1900.

This is what he wrote in his journal in 1902 on his first trip to Tucson:
"Tucson? Arizona? Who has ever heard mention of it? Where is it found on the world's map? Some time ago, I had occasion to write to an eminent person in Belgium. His answer was slow in coming. I was going to give up waiting for it, when a mutual friend informed me that my correspondent, incredulous, had at first doubted the existence of Arizona and its bishop; then on second thought, he had gone to seek information about them."
Bishop Henri Granjon

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Your collage is wonderful to view, and I enjoyed the history lesson.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Superb. I love the one on the upper left I must say.

11:46 PM  
Blogger zannnie said...

Very nicely done!

Thank you:D

10:11 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Thanks Kate, Eric and Zannie! Your comments are greatly appreciated... I love the history when it comes down to the people who were there, what they thought, what they said and did. Bishop Granjon just seemed like a person I would have enjoyed meeting.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home