Monday, October 16, 2006

The Panethenians


This photo is from a festival called Tucson Meet Yourself. Its kind of dorky name for a festival but maybe its meant to be -as if to say let's not take ourselves too seriously and just have fun with who we all are. Its been held annually for 33 years and the idea, according to the program, is "to celebrate the living, traditional arts of Southern Arizona's folk and ethnic communities". I took a gazillion photos :)

The girls in the photo are from a Greek folk dancing group called The Panethenians. They looked quite solemn most of the time when they were dancing so I was pleased to catch them in a less serious moment. This was a slower part of the dance where they got close together, moving in a line.

6 Comments:

Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

Beautiful costumes, too.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I like the shy smiles! Good capture. I never associated Greeks with Tucson. Interesting information!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Meg - I agree about the costumes. I have no idea how authentic they are but they certainly were beautifully done.

Kate - There are Greek restaurants and a Greek festival (which I missed). Maybe its because of being a city with a university, but Tucson is fairly diverse culturally. From what I've read St. Paul is quite a cosmopolitan place itself.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Curly said...

Nice shot Louz, nothing posed, all nice and natural.

Curly's Photoshop

4:11 AM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

Looking at this photo after the Mosaic one of Oct 17, I had the feeling I was seeing the model after which the mosaic was done. Of course when you look closely it is not so at all, but I really like the correspondence between the two photos.
And more than anything, I think it's a brilliant portrait, very clean and very well framed. The girls look shy but happy, well done.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

you caught a lovely moment and the costumes are gorgeous!!

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home