Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mosaic by Las Artes



Las Artes had a display at Tucson Meet Yourself. I stopped, talked with them, took photos. They fire their own tiles, use both commercial glazes and glazes they make themselves. Tiles are handpainted and in some cases airbrushed. By teenagers, trained by them. Their program helps kids get their GEDs in a working artist environment.

Their mosaics are all over Tucson and they do really beautiful work. This photo just does not do justice to this particular mosaic, especially the skin tones which were lovely. Oh and they did some of the benches in Sahuarita that I showed a photo of several months ago. Tucson has this odd small town quality sometimes, like its three degrees of separation here instead of six.

10 Comments:

Anonymous John - Melbourne said...

well those two posts work well together ! Nice mosaic.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Sadia said...

beautiful tiles. It must be nice to find these all over Tucson.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Vancouver Daily Photo said...

I love your whimsical subjects and photos, especially the pink temple. Only in Arizona!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

I love this piece! And wow, the artists are teenagers?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

Just lovely! I especially like the details of her skirt.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

I thought it was a tile painting.
It's so delicately detailed.

12:15 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

I looked through a book with photos of their work and its very good, very well done. Without being unkind, I've seen some here in Tucson that was not so good.

They have staff artistis who assist the kids... I think its a terrific idea, helping kids who are falling by the wayside to have pride in what they can do and to learn a work ethic. Those kids must really feel great to see their work up in public for everyone to see.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Seeing something this gorgeous and knowing it was made by people younger than I, gives me hope that I could make something so beautiful. Thanks for posting this lovely image, Louz.

And thanks for leaving the comment for me on Kate's blog. One of the things that gives me hope for the future is discovering, randomly, that there are many people throughout America who yearn for an administration change. I hope they all vote.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Nathalie said...

Lovely photo of a beautiful artwork.

5:30 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

it is gorgeous!

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home