Friday, October 06, 2006

Mall Encounter

fI'm not a fan of shopping malls. To me they are noisy, crowded, full of stuff I don't have money for and sometimes I even get lost in the larger ones. However I like this mall. In the daytime it is sunny, airy, quietly elegant architecturally. It would make a lovely arboretum, art gallery or even a library.

At night the outside lights are kind of pretty so I went by after work one night, around midnight. Took a bunch of shots and then this security company car pulls up. So I walk over, thinking I'll tell him I'm just taking photos, nothing to worry about. So I walk up to the car, security guard guy stays in the car - he's wearing sunglasses by the way and the conversation was something like this:

Me: Hi, I'm just taking photos.
Guy: Why are you taking photos?
Me: I like the lights, like the way they look at the entrance there.
Guy: Why are you taking photos?
Me: For a blog.
Guy: You can't take photos here.
Me: Oh..OK, I'm leaving.

I start to turn and walk away but then ask:

Me: So if I come back when the mall's open, could I take photos inside?
Guy: Ma'am, you'd be arrested.

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

Dear Daily Photo blogger. I'm sorry for the generic message, but I wanted to get this to as many of you as possible.

I have set up "The Daily Photo Spot" on Fanpop. If you go there, you can enter your specific City Daily Photo blog (Add link). Paris, London and Dubai are already there, so it would be great to see all of you DP Bloggers listed.

While you are there, vote for the others!

3:04 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Pretty hard-nosed, I'd say. You know, 9/11 changed formerly-innocent activities into potential threats. Too bad. Keep on blogging!!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Kate, there's an air force base here with whole big fields full of vintage and semi-vintage aircraft. I'd love to take some pictures but I just have visions of sirens going off, attack dogs coming out of nowhere, etc. - even though the base is surrounded by public streets.

I find it hard to understand why they would care if I took photos.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

At least he called you Ma'am.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home