Friday, October 13, 2006

Inside the Studio



The Sonoran Glass Academy is in neighborhood near downtown - historic, low income, a place where artists can afford working space. Given its location so near dowtown if developers ever take an interest in it, its doomed to gentrification. However at the present, it is diverse and lively in its interests.

I was surprised
how much glassblowing is done as a group. There was a balletic quality, an intense shared focus - a reflection of the fact that they are creating and shaping a delicate (and extremely hot) object.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Developers keep an eye on the migrations of the artist community.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

I don't know what I was thinking... At first I just stared at this series thinking it was a gym!

I know what you mean about developers keepign an eye on the artists community. There was an old building in Wellington that housed artists' studios for a low rent, I think, that was either going to be demolished or refurbished into an up-market apartment. It's hard for most art practitioners to make a living anyway, I don't know what we're suposed to do when all the formerly neglected places get taken away also.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

Hi Robert and Meg :-) I thought it looked like a rather low budget laundromat myself. All the wall on the right is furnaces.

There was another similar historic barrio that now is the Tucson Convention Center and its parking lots. And the Warehouse District, where there are a lot of artists studios, is at risk.

Its hard to make money in the arts here too. Artists are not honored the way I think they should be.

2:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home