Friday, September 08, 2006

Towards Mexico


Mexico is roughly 60mi (100k) south of Tucson. Tucson sits in a basin, with mountain ranges surrounding.This photo was taken from the Santa Catalina Mts looking across the far east side of Tucson towards the south.

Its not a country for everyone. The colors are browns, yellows, muted oranges, mostly the drabber greens and the blues of the skies.Its a country that shows its bones, that lays everything out in front of you on a grand scale. You can see thunderstorms building, towering above the mountains, air and water given form and energy, from miles away. Technicolor sunsets so often we sometimes don't look anymore. A country that is vast and magnificent but not generous or welcoming on a human scale.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Hi, Louz:

Thanks for the comments on my photos. I really enjoy wandering through your blog. The photos are great, especially the buildings. As I said previously, I really love the colours of the southwest. You don't see colours like that anywhere else, except maybe around the Mediterranean. Hopefully next summer I will be taking a road trip around the 4 Corners.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Louz, you describe your countryside beautifully. Many people, including myself, love Arizona and New Mexico. I've spent lots of time in Santa Fe and Taos, and miss it. Recently it's been Mexico, and what variety that has, too, but your fotos are so special!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Meg Nakagawa said...

Some friends of Dad's took us to Nogales one time to see bullfighting. I was five so I wasn't sure what the problem was, but someone didn't have the proper re-entry visa, so we were warned before exitingi the US, but we were given until sundown to go see the bullfighting anyway. Good old days, yeah? We had to leave our cars and get in these taxis where the springs have come right through the seats, etc. I really enjoyed the day, but my mom and Dad's friend's wife were horrified and sat sideways not looking at the show the whole time.

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home