Monday, September 11, 2006

9-11

I have been watching George Bush's address to the nation and I am so angry I am shaking. There will be no photo tonight. Nothing I have would be appropriate.

I was home the morning of the attack on the World Trade Center, had actually turned on my tv by chance right after the first plane hit. I was horrified, appalled and will admit this affected me at a much deeper level than other terrorist attacks, wars, disasters in other countries which took more lives and sometimes were more horrific. This was an attack on my country, on me.

However I was even more horrified when the Bush administration used the anger, fear, outrage and increased nationalism we all felt then to justify going to war. First against Afghanistan, which did at least have Al-Quaeda stronghoulds and the presence of Osama bin Laden. But then the attack on Iraq, as if it were a continuation of the Afghani war. Even though members of this adminitration have since admitted that Sadam Husen's government and Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Bush actually said so in his talk tonight, amongst all the other half-truths and lies.

I am seeing in all the coverage about 9/11, not just today, but really for the last week a return to the same retoric we heard 5 years ago. Rudolf
Giuliani (who was Mayor of New York at the time of the 9/11 attack) said tonight on CBS tv that what made this terrorist attack different was that we changed from taking a defensive position to taking an offensive one, in defense of freedom. Bush used the same retoric. There was more talk about staying the course, being stalwart in the defense of freedom. What freedom do we have when our government illegally wiretaps our homes, when we have held people at Guantanamo (and other prisons around the world) now for years, without being able to prove for most of them a connection to 9/11 and without allowing them the legal rights that are part of living in a free country?

On this aniversary of 9/11, the question we Americans should be asking ourselves is why we are in the war in Iraq? Bush's administration told us initially that it was because of the threat of WMD, then it was because of an was an evil dictatorship. He was but so is the leadership of North Korea and we not attacking them or any of a number of other brutal regimes on this planet. The current rationale is that we are bringing democracy to the middle East. Did they ask us to do that and what right do we have to make that decision for them? When did we go from a country respected around the world, at least, for our freedoms - to a country that is viewed as the world's bully? People all over the world grieved with us 5 years ago, now we are hated more than ever. The Bush administration has turned a horrific event into a quest for empire. This is wrong. Thousands of our young people and far more Iraqis had died for this and it is wrong.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Louz, Turn your anger into energy to help elect people to represent your own point of view. I still have confidence that it can be turned around. I did not watch any program except the documentary by the two French filmmakers who were here at the time filming a rookie in a fire house close to the catastrophe. It was hard to watch (again since I've seen it before) but it was honest and true. Hard to watch and it made me weep anew with resolve again to work for Peace.

7:45 PM  
Blogger santy said...

I can understand that you didn't want to post any picture today, Louz. It is hard to face the facts that people hate you or your country. I feel the same way when people label Indonesians as terrorists or radical moslems or whatever. Anyway, I agree with Kate...just keep your faith and hope for a better day.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

I feel the same way you do, Louz. I wrote a long response to your post, but erased it because you said it all. Luckily there is the opportunity to make changes in November and again in 08. I hope that everyone who disagrees with this administration go to the polls in numbers never seen before.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Randy said...

Louz, I agree with you 100 percent. My brother has already been to Afghanistan once and going back again if things don't change soon. I'll tell you one thing if anything happens to him Cindy Sheehan will not be the only one the president will have to deal with.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

When the Bush administration was first talking war with Iraq, still going through the pretense that they cared about input from the UN, there were a couple of occasions when I spoke up, said this was wrong, that Iraq had nothing to do the 9/11, that this was going to be sending out young people to die in a war for no reason. And people got really angry with me, angry beyond just me, it was the anger they felt about the attack too. So I shut up. And people in Congress and the media shut job. Millions of us afraid of the anger or of getting voted out or losing their jobs (look what happened to Tom Daschle and Dan Rather). The Bush administration used that as the appearance of a concensus for a lot of actions that should have never been allowed, should have been strenuously opposed and weren't. We have to speak up. I'm ashamed I didn't.

Thanks for the comments guys. You better believe I'm gonna vote.

Santy, you're right. We need more understanding of the complexity of what any country and people are about and more appreciation of the diversity and differences. Sometimes I think the internet is our last chance, the one place that's not controlled by governments and big multinationals businesses. Real free speech.

I'm a great admirer of Cindy Sheehan. One person can make a difference. Creating an army out of National Guard troops who did not join to go off to war for years in another country is yet another dishonest thing Bush's government has done. If there were real support for the war he wouldn't have had to do that.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home