Saturday, August 12, 2006

They Waxed the Street!


The Fox Theatre showed movies for 50 years before closing in 1974. It has recently been restored and I like to think it looks now like it looked on April 11, 1930 when Tucson gave a huge party to celebrate its opening.



For the night of the opening Congress St was closed and waxed for dancing, there were 4 live bands, a live radio broadcast and free trolley rides downtown. Aproximately 3,000 people bought tickets to see the silent movie "Chasing Rainbows" and a Mickey Mouse cartoon inside the theatre.

Currently showing at the Fox is "Breakfast At Tiffanys".

4 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Audrey Hepburn--what a dream!! Waxing the street? Did you go? Did you dance? I love it all!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Neorelix said...

They waxed a street?!? Astonishing. Love the architecture though, a little deco simplicity is always satisfying. Nice shots. There's an easy teaser on my page today if you fancy a go...

2:52 AM  
Blogger luggi said...

This is a winner. I wish they would reopen our own beloved Fox Theater.

http://losangelesdailyphoto.blogspot.com/2006/05/fox-venice-theater.html

8:21 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Well no that was before my time. Sometimes I wish I had lived then, those simplier times. Though then there would be no digital photography.

I've been pondering a little on the street waxing. Was the street dirt or paved? Was there a big waxing machine or a big vat of wax? A horse drawn waxer or just men with brooms? This maybe was not unusual at the time. I'm thinking it was a dirt street, would be more reason to wax. I dunno.

I'm a big fan of art deco, anywhere, anytime.

Luggi, we also have a historic Rialto Theatre, which according to Google was also a common name given to theaters. Have't got a decent photo of it yet but it'll be on the blog someday. I'll bet there's one in LA.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home