Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sonic At Midnight

Sonic is a fast food chain. It started as a root beer stand in Shawnee, Oklahoma in 1953. The innovation that made it popular was drive up service. Customers would drive up, park next to a menu and order from an intercom. "Carhops" would come out and deliver the food. The name "Sonic" was chosen to reflect what was then the beginnings of the Jet/Space Age. Now Sonics have both drive thru and drive up service. I'm not particurly a fan of the food but I like the irony of it all - and the bright lights.

6 Comments:

Blogger Denton said...

Good action photo with the red streak of a tail light. We like Sonic food a little to much and have to limit our visits to maintain our diet.

9:48 AM  
Blogger santy said...

I love the bright light as well!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

Its a shame they still don't have the carhops on rollerskates - or was that just in the movies?

I'm kind of into neon lights these days. Some neon lights are quite striking.

Denton - I like the read streak too. :)

1:48 AM  
Blogger Marie McC said...

Great night shot! I'm going to have to get a tripod.

I don't know about the rollerstakes, but I definitely remember carhops in crisp black & white uniforms bringing the food on trays out to the car.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Denton said...

It depends on the city. In Greenville our last roller-skating carhops at Sonic were about five years ago. While in Amarillo Texas (near where many of my relative live) they still have roller-skating carhops at Sonic today.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Hi Marie, I own a tripod but don't use it. I steady the camera on the car window. Which is OK for neon.

Well Amarillo's flat, as I remember from driving through that area a few times. Pretty cool there are still skating car hops somewhere.

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home