Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Steak House (or La Chambre de Bifteck)

American-as-apple-pie. I've never eaten in this particular one so anything I say about steak house food is wholly generic. The generic steak house meal -first a tossed salad - iceberg lettuce, shredded carrot, sliced radish, maybe celery or cucumber slices, a few tomato sections or slices.

And dressing for the salad - thousand island (basically ketchup and mayonaise), french (not sure what it is), italian (an oil and vinegar variation) and ranch. Often bread sticks or sliced bread with the salad.

Drinks are served with the salad - usually a mixed drink, wine, pop or iced tea.

Then they bring the steak - and steak houses are judged by size and thickness of the steaks. At one place I ate at, the steak covered the whole plate, by itself. I found that a little grotesque but its considered to be a plus by a lot of people.

With the steak generally there is some potato variation, either baked (in the skin) or french fried. The common condiments to go with that are butter, sour cream, ketchup, sometimes something called Bacon Bits (crumbled fake bacon). And dessert - maybe pie or ice cream or cake.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mile Stones said...

It's been so long sinceI was in the States that I'd forgotten all those details of what a dinner can consist of (No wonder you eat dinner from 6 pm!). It is GARGANTUAN! I can't ever eat anywhere near that much anymore. As I read the part on the salads, I was thinking "Mmmm, nice. now, what's for dessert?", having forgotten about the steak! But I must now get into the kitchen & boil the pasta for a good, healthy Italian dinner - starving! Actually loved all the detail, thanks! Do they do free delivery overseas?

12:38 PM  
Blogger santy said...

I love steaks!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

Its actually been a while since I've been in a steak house. I tend to be semi-vegetarian these days. It is a big meal. Part of the same phenomena as the
"all you can eat" for one price places.

Thanks for visiting guys! Santy, sometimes I love a steak too.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

Just discovered Babelfish changes the title of this post to La Chambre de Bifteck. Made me laugh.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Mile Stones said...

As a professional translator, I just have to say: BIG IT UP FOR BABELFISH!! It does a great job for my business, when people believe it's doing them the srvice they need, then discover that folks on the receiving end are in hysterics (or plain mystified)by what they read. Then they turn to me....and PAY!!
Great for amusement though, I mean, I couldn't have thought that one up, never! Such an endearing image. Like a hotel where they name their rooms instead of numbering them: "Yes, Madame, we can offer you our best room, the Steak Room, 3 nights for the price of 4 and all the steak you can eat. C'est vachement charmante!"....& I like steak too, but not Flinstones size!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home