Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mourning Dove

I like to read in the morning sitting next to my front window and a few days ago I looked up and realized there is a Mourning Dove nest in a palm tree right outside my window. So I've been taking photos, a few a day, trying not to get too close or freak the adult bird out. Here's today's. I'm thinking there are 2 babies. You can see the closed eye of one. They look a little scruffy because they're covered with feather shafts with feathers just beginning to erupt.

According to one reference the French name for this species is "Tourterelle triste" and the Spanish is "Huilota".

7 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

aw..the babĂ­'s eyes are still close. so delicate! Nice catch :)

11:04 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

erm ..typo - baby :D

11:06 PM  
Blogger Jazzy said...

I like your new hobby, very nice photo.
Thank you for stopping by on my DP.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Celine said...

Very nice photo! I love it. I envy your view. :)

8:50 AM  
Blogger Mile Stones said...

That is really a beautiful shot, congrats! And boy, do I also envy you the view!
Louz, i'm here today to confess that I am a total idiot! Why? Because last Tuesday, I commented that in Portugal, there isn't pink oliander. On Friday, i was drivng on the main avenue into the city centre from the airport and as I had my eyes open, I couldn't miss the fact that the entire central barrier is one,long, well-watered white & PINK oliander bush for a mile & a half!!! I hadn't just forgotten that, but everywhere I've been since the pink ones (who know me pretty well!) have been giving me hell for stupidity. So, I apologize here & now for the lapse and misinformation. Enuff!

12:01 PM  
Blogger alice said...

Please, how far were you from the birds? Very difficult to get such a good photo, bravo!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

Alice the nest is about shoulder level and I took the picture from about 5ft (about 1.5m). My camera has a better than average zoom for a point & shoot.

Thanks everyone!

Nowhere Man, its OK:) Sometimes you just don't notice things in a familiar environment

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home