Sunday, July 02, 2006

The Davis House on Main Street

I love this house. It looks almost like it should be sitting on a cliff somewhere in the tropics to me. It is on Main St. in the El Presidio District, near downtown Tucson. This is where the Tucson Presidio was founded in 1775 by the Spanish, the beginning of Tucson, at least anglo Tucson. One resource I've read said that Main was originally the road that led from the Presidio to Mexico City.

In the 1800's and early 1900's, Main was the fashionable street to live on for Tucson's newly wealthy business leaders - most of them self-made frontier types. The Presidio District is now a historic district, Main just travels for 5 or 6 blocks and many of the restored old homes house law offices and restaurants.

4 Comments:

Blogger Edwin Sumun said...

I can imagine the cliff and ocean behind it! Well, at least I know know how I want my house to look like if it were on a cliff.

3:33 AM  
Blogger Louz said...

Me too Edwin. Its either this or a huge Victorian.
Louz

6:56 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Abbey said...

I lived in this house as a child. I'ts a great house. It looks so different now, and I'm only 33.

And it IS sitting on a cliff, kind of. It has a basement that you can walk into on ground level in the back, so the back porch is on the second floor.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home