Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Fantasy Creature on Water Street


There is this amazing front yard on Water Street full - and by full I mean it is a riot of fantasy creatures constructed of various metal and other found objects. I used to live in this neighborhood and go by it frequently walking or jogging or biking and it was like a continual performance art show. There were always new creatures or old ones that changed, acquired a headdress or suddenly found themselves sitting on a fantasy horse holding a spear or some other variation suggested by a lively imagination. Some of the creatures are small, even "crawling" on the ground or up in a tree but many are a head taller than most humans. The one in this photo is having a great time riding another fantasy animal.

You might want to check out the
Kauppurienkatu photo on the todays Oulu blog.

5 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

I think it is good to see such art in yards - but it sounds like this yard is teeming with creations. One or two would let the eye stop and consider - more would overwhelm. Am I right about this?

6:03 PM  
Blogger Louz said...

Well he's selling them so it is in a way a kind of showroom. And I suppose if you keep making these things you have to put them somewhere. You're right though, the yard is teeming with them. I always used to wonder how his neighbors felt about it all. But then yard has been like that for at least 10 years that I know of. I guess I always thought this was a person who couldn't help himself. Couldn't make a creature and leave it alone as finished - they're never finished - or make just a few of them. Its clearly not about making a yard thats attractive in the usual sense. I dunno, I have the kind of mind that loves this kind of thing. Wouldn't do it in my yard though :)

Anyway thanks for the visit Annie. How neat to get a comment when I just posted this a few minutes ago.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

This sounds so cool and well worth a detour. This fella looks disgruntled though.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Bizzare creature!good way to recycle the metal though

3:53 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I really like this shot!

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home